Version 2.4.0: Bare-bellied release
is a visualisation tool for DNS statistics that consumes data acquired with the
Hedgehog was initially developed for
by Sinodun IT
and is now released open
source under the Mozilla Public License, version 2.0. For more information on the development and support of DNS-STATS:Hedgehog see
The DNS-STATS:Hedgehog software releases are named after subspecies
- The paradigm in Hedgehog is that the user selects a set of criteria (plot, time window,
plot type and node selection) and then hits the 'Generate Plot!' button. (It is not the case
that changing e.g. the plot or node selection immediately re-generates the current plot.)
- The static plots are .png files. Hedgehog offers the option to view these plots as normal
line plots, stacked line plots or line plots with a logarithmic y-axis.
- The interactive plots are based on GoogleViz and provide zoom controls (fixed intervals
at the top left and a slider bar at the bottom) and display data values along the top as the
user moves their mouse over the plot window.
- Plots are cached as they are viewed. The 'day' plots (midnight-midnight) for the previous
day are cached overnight.
- For line plots of less than or equal to one day interval the data points are 1 minute
apart by default. Where the time interval is greater than 1 day the data is averaged to improve
the appearance of the plot. These averaged plots contain a fixed number of data points which
results in the interval between the data points being 7 minutes for a 'week' plot and ~30 minutes
for a 'month' plot.
- The basic time controls generate graphs for fixed intervals.
- The '<' and '>' buttons will shift the window forward or backwards by one interval unit.
- The '+<' and '>+' buttons will increase the window width by one interval unit.
- The advanced time controls allow the user to specify the time interval down to the minute.
- Node selection
- The nodes are displayed in different tabs for each top level Group, including an 'All' group.
- The nodes may be further grouped for display/selection purposes by
either Country/City/Instance or not grouped at all. This grouping is controlled via the radio selection next to
the server drop down. This selection does not affect how nodes are grouped in plots; choose a different plot
under the 'Node Statistics' category to change the grouping in plots.
- Within each Group tab, bulk node selections can be altered with the 'Actions' buttons.
The icons next to the Group/Country/City/Instance names indicate if all (full circle), some (half circle) or none (empty circle) of the nodes
in that choice are included in nodes for plot generation. Clicking on an individual Country/City/Instance/Node selects or de-selects that choice.
- Static link
- The static link provided below the plot window is a link to a cached version of the plot file on the Hedgehog server.
This link may not be valid if the cache has been flushed since the plot was originally produced.